What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of the cookie is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know it, cookies have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, or a Trojan, or a worm, or spam, or spyware, or open windows pop-up.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person if not with your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse Internet Explorer and try to navigate through the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is navigating, when an anonymous and a registered user navigates, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies of analysis: They gather information about the type of navigation that is being carried out, the sections that most use, products consulted, time band of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies : Display advertising based on your browsing, country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and third-party are generated by services or suppliers external sources such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I deactivate cookies ?
In order to understand the scope that can be had to deactivate the cookies we show you some examples:
- You can not share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as it usually happens in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My account , or My profile or My orders . </li >
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they will have to be phone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam .
- It will not be possible to show sectoral advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the website.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove the cookies from a website you must go to your browser settings and there you can search the associated ones to the domain in question and proceed to your elimination.
Configuring cookies for the most popular browsers
Here’s how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option Show advanced options .
- Go to Privacy , Content settings .
- Select All cookies and site data <em>.
- A list with all the cookies sorted by domain will appear. To make it easier for you to find the cookies of a specific domain, enter the address partially or completely in the Search for cookies field.
- After completing this filter, one or more lines with the cookies of the requested web appear on the screen. Now you just have to select it and press X to proceed with its removal.
To access the cookies configuration of the Internet Explorer browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools , Internet Options
- Click on Privacy .
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version) ):
- Go to Options or Preferences according to your operating system.
- Click on Privacy .
- In History choose Use custom settings for the history .
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies , you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences , then Privacy .
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of block you want to make.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings , then Safari .
- Go to Privacy and Security , you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser for Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings .
- Go to Security and Privacy , you will see the Accept cookies option to check or uncheck the box.
To access the cookie configuration of the browser for Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer , then More , then Settings
- Now you can enable or disable the Allow cookies checkbox.